Sunday, August 19, 2012

Changing the Way YOU Dress...


This is a reply to a couple of NikeTalk members regarding making the change to dressing better. Many of us when we make the change of dressing better, the comments from others are plenty. From "why are you so dressed up" to "where are you going tonight" to "your clothes are too tight/small." Here's my reply...

Initially when you start changing your style of dress, especially if it is somewhat dramatic people will notice and people will talk. I know I had that happen to me a lot, especially the comments about trying to be someone else. Ideas to dress better and keep it simple, is still do you. You mentioned t-shirts, why not wear some chinos with some plain tee's and some Jack Purcell's or dress shoes for example. Hoody, replace the hoody with a V-neck sweater and a button down top, change the sweats for some jeans, shoes you can do some boots or some dress shoes as well. Plus at the end of the day, who cares, if you feel comfortable and walk around with that confidence the comments will stop.

I completely agree as well with the "damn dude bought that suit too damn small" comment. As most of you know I'm not a small guy so the assumption is always to wear loose clothing, super loose clothing, ah no. I've gotten from my co-workers (I'm a teacher), specifically my male co-workers the your suit is too small, it's isn't it just fits properly. The main one I still get to this day is again from my male co-workers, regarding where I'm going later in the day (like a date, interview, usually it's "ahhh you must have a date") when it's just the fact that I give a crap about how I look. It's not that they don't but I can tell you right now that even the smallest guy at work wears his clothing about 2 sizes too big and square toe shoes are staple amongst most of the men at work or the pointy slip ons. If I even wear a blazer to work most of the guys think I'm either going on a date or trying to show them up. I actually got fed up the last week of school, since no students are present mostly all the males just dress like if they're at home, and I wore a button down, jeans and a blazer (my Bespoke suit jacket to be exact). The comment was made and as much as I insisted that I just wanted to wear a blazer they kept at it. I responded with "no I just care about how I dress and considering I've waited 6 months for this jacket, I'm wearing it." My principal is in a suit everyday and not well fitting ones so the times I've worn suits to work which fit better than his, I've even gotten sarcastic comments from him. I don't care, my thing is, it's not my fault I know how to dress . Not surprising it's the women at work whom I get the most compliments from. At least 3-4 of the women (staff of 45 teachers, about 28-30 female), compliment me on a weekly basis and I think the men at work hate that. I once was told by one of the women that my pants were too short because I cut them at my ankle for my loafers and no socks, I let her know that no this is how you are suppose to wear your pants not having 8 inches of fabric piling up, it shut her up. Too many people don't know how to dress properly in terms of fit and proportion and that's why when they see people like a lot of us here who take the time to put ourselves together and wear things that fit that we are "trying too hard."
At the end of the day, do you. Be comfortable. Be Confident. Be You

No comments:

Post a Comment