Saturday, June 22, 2013

WDIWT...6/22/13-Graduation Edition


So today isn't about what I wore, how well things fit or didn't fit, it is about them and celebrating not only their accomplishments this year but their accomplishments all 4 years and that many more they will achieve in 4 years from now. Their journey isn't over, it has just begun.

Today, was an exceptionally amazing day for me. 4 years ago I began my teaching career, straight out of grad school, my first class was to be the future Class of 2013. I was their Computer Applications teacher, they were fresh-faced freshmen and I was a fresh out of grad school teacher, my only teaching experience being a summer internship for 3 summers and student-teaching so granted I wasn't inexperienced but still my first full class, ever. They were scared and nervous, I was scared and nervous. I remember that year like it was yesterday, today I saw my children, now young adults, go.

As cliche as it may sound or may be as unbelievable and I really do mean that in a way that people don't believe it when it is said, I do consider these kids my children. I never thought that I would get attached to a group of teenage students, that it would always be all business, they come in, I teach them to the best of my abilities, they go home. But that's the thing about teaching, that's the thing about a good/great teacher, a teacher who cares, it doesn't end when you go home. I can't tell you how many of these students I've personally advised, dried tears, help mend broken hearts and broken homes or simply hugged because they needed that shoulder to lean on. They too were my solace, when I missed home; they took my mind of it, when my grandmother passed away, their was no other place I wanted to be at than with them...my happy place.

I am going to miss this particular group of students more than anything in the world, more than I ever thought I could or would. I was lucky enough to teach them one more time, this year as Seniors. Their last day in my class was by far the hardest day I've ever had a teacher. I told them a few simple things, that I was extremely proud of them, that they will always have a special place in my heart, my life and my career and that most important I love and will miss every single one of them, while choking back tears...I did this 3 times this day, 3 different periods. I'm proud to say that 100% of our students graduated high school, and that 100% will be attending college with 75% going to a 4-year university.




Details:
Suit: Calvin Klein Navy Cotton/Linen Blend via CalvinKlein.Com-$75+$45(alterations)
Shirt: Indochino White Cotton French Cuff L/S Dress Shirt via Indochino-$77 part of 3 for $229 deal
Tie: No Name Navy Knit Tie via eBay-$5
Tie Bar: No Name Stainless Steel via eBay-$3
Shoes: Florsheim Vintage Loafers via eBay-$25




No comments:

Post a Comment